2023-24 Terms of Registration
Please read carefully and sign the agreement.
- Our 2023-2024 School Year consists of 3 terms. July to August is our summer term.
Term 1: September 5, 2023 to December 22, 2023 (16 weeks)
Term 2: January 8, 2024 to March 28, 2024 (11 weeks)
Term 3: April 2, 2024 to June 28, 2024 (13 weeks)
Summer Term: July - August
- Regular scheduling from September to June generally follows the schedule of the Toronto District School Board. We are closed one week for March Break, two weeks for Winter Break, as well as statutory holidays. We are also closed on Saturdays of Statutory holiday weekends. All school closure dates are shown on our School Calendar webpage.
- Lessons and classes are usually available from Monday to Saturday during the School Year. All private lessons are available by appointment only.
- Priority will be given to current students in regular weekly lesson scheduling.
- Students must commit to the agreed-upon set day and time weekly throughout the term if they opt for regular lessons or classes. Students are expected to be at their lesson on time and teachers will not give extra time at the end due to student lateness.
- Workshops, Camps, Master Classes and Intensives are offered on specific dates. Dates and times are listed on our website.
- Drop-in private lessons are available upon request.
- Private in-person lessons are offered starting 30 minutes in length. 45-minute and 60-minute lessons are the most common lesson lengths. Longer lessons are available for students studying at higher levels. Lesson fees vary according to teacher, instrument, lesson length, location and level of study. Drop-in lessons will be charged at a higher rate than the regular weekly lessons.
- Semi-private in-person lessons, group classes, workshops, camps, and intensives have various term lengths. Students are responsible for keeping track of all class dates listed on the invoice. No make-ups can be made for any absences. No refund once a term has started.
- Trial lesson/class may be available upon request. No bookings will be confirmed until the non-refundable registration fee is received. If a trial lesson/class is missed, it is forfeited. Limit one lesson/class per new student enrolment. Trial lessons are booked pending availability. Trial lessons are 30 minutes in length maximum.
- Online lessons are available upon request.
- A registration fee is a non-refundable fee paid upon registering for any lessons/classes.
- The annual registration fee for the 2023-2024 school year is $50.
- Students who sign up for both music and dance lessons/classes will only be charged the $50 registration fee once per year.
- Tuition is due 3 business days in advance. Payments in full are due prior to the start of the program. For regular term students scheduled for weekly lessons, our payment schedule follows the school term- Sept-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-June. Our office will send you an invoice for the term lessons when you confirm your registration.
- If students fail to pay before the due date, their scheduled lessons will be forfeited.
- We accept e-transfer and cheque for payments. E-transfer is preferred.
- If paying by e-transfer, please make an e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If paying by cheque, please make the cheque payable to 12937018 Canada Foundation.
- Please contact the office if you prefer other payment options.
- Please kindly include the student’s full name and invoice number with any payment.
Material and Activity Fees
- Fees for books, materials, activities, recitals and costumes are not included in tuition and will be billed separately. Teachers will do their best to notify you of these specific fees before registering.
- All students have access to free parking behind the Academy. Parking spots are available on a first come, first served basis.
- There is a 13-step staircase in front of our Academy entrance to access to our Gordon Lightfoot Concert Hall and a 17-step staircase between the main floor and the second-floor classrooms. 15 steps are needed to get to the third-floor dance studio. There is also a 13-step staircase between the main floor and the electronic keyboard classroom downstairs.
- If you would feel more comfortable being in a mask-wearing environment, please contact our office. We will try our best to accommodate your needs.
- Students who sign up for regular weekly one-on-one lessons must contact the Academy Administrator at email@example.com or (416) 922-0855 at least twenty- four (24) hours prior to the scheduled lesson for any cancellations; otherwise, the student will be charged the full lesson fee. Students must contact the office directly to discuss make-up options where applicable. Make-ups must be approved by the Office and teacher. We will review the situation and let the students know if they are owed a make-up credit. Please refer to “Make-up Policy” for more information.
- Make-ups cannot be requested for Group or semi-private classes.
- If the student does not show up at their scheduled lesson without previously advising the Academy, the student will automatically be charged the full lesson fee.
- If a teacher is absent, the lesson/class can be rescheduled with the original teacher or taught by a substitute on the original date/time. Our office will be in touch with the student and teacher directly regarding the special arrangement for rescheduling.
- In case of sickness, please contact the office ASAP via phone (416-922-0855) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and stay home for the health and safety of our teachers, staff, and students.
- Our office may be able to switch your scheduled private lesson to an online lesson that week where applicable, pending availability. Students must contact the office before the scheduled lesson time. A make-up is not guaranteed. We will try our best to set up a make-up arrangement for you.
- If you test positive for COVID-19 or have an extended illness that may affect more than two lessons, please contact the office. Lessons may be made up online. Our office will discuss the make-up arrangement with you.
- Make-up lessons may be in-person or online at the school’s discretion.
- Private Music or Dance students who sign up for regular weekly one-on-one lessons are permitted up to 1 make-up lesson per term for lesson(s) cancelled in advance by the student. Students must email the Academy Administrator at email@example.com or (416) 922-0855 at least twenty- four (24) hours prior to the scheduled lesson to request a make-up arrangement.
- Students who sign up for more than one lesson per week can request up to 3 make-up lessons per term.
- Make-up lessons must be claimed by the end of the term and are unredeemable afterwards.
- Any lesson moved from the student’s regularly scheduled time is considered a make-up.
- Specific classrooms are not guaranteed for make-up lessons.
- If a scheduled make-up lesson is missed, the make-up is forfeited and will not be rescheduled.
- If lessons are discontinued, any/all outstanding school term make-up lessons are forfeited.
- Once a student uses their valid make-up credits for the term, any other cancellations will be charged as regular lessons and no further make-ups will be issued for the term.
- For extenuating circumstances (accommodations due to disability, extended illness, etc.), please contact the office to discuss further options and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- To facilitate successful and enjoyable learning, students must commit to regular daily practice. Students are expected to show up to their lessons prepared in order to make progress. Consistency is the key to success. Our teachers will give students instructions and tips on creating practice routines that work for them.
- Students acknowledge that there will be an end-of-year student showcase in June. All students are expected to prepare for the showcase performance. If students can’t perform for whatever reason, they should let their teachers know as soon as possible.
- Students should be respectful to all in the Academy. Behaviour by a student, guardian, or any individual that limits the safety or enjoyment of others in our facilities is not permitted.
- Applied music students (except for piano/keyboard students) are expected to bring their own instruments for lessons/classes. Please contact our office to advise on instrumental rental and purchase options prior to your first scheduled lesson/class.
- Piano students will use either upright, baby grand or grand pianos for their piano lessons. The concert hall is reserved for advanced students. Please use the pianos with care. Our office will try to book you in your preferred room, but we can't make any guarantees and your room is subject to change due to availability. Please contact your teacher to advise on instrumental rental and purchase options for in-home practice.
- Students should be punctual to their lessons or classes. If a student is more than 15 minutes late to a lesson, the teacher is no longer obliged to wait. A teacher cannot extend the lesson beyond the agreed-upon weekly lesson timeframe.
- Please let the office know about any allergies or special accommodations that we should be aware of for you and/or your child in advance of beginning your lessons/classes. If you and/or your child have severe or life-threatening allergies, it is your responsibility to make sure our office is informed.
- The academy is not responsible for any lost/damaged personal items while on site. If you think you may have left a personal belonging at the Academy, please contact our office and we will check our lost and found items. After 30 days, lost and found items are donated to the charity.
- If the student wishes to terminate his/her enrollment, he/she must provide notice of cancellation in writing at least one month prior to the intended termination date. Unused fees will be refunded (less discounts, administrative charges, outstanding lessons, and rental fees, if applicable). Refunds for medical reasons may be available upon presentation of a doctor’s note.
The policies outlined here are updated as of August 2023. Policies may be subject to change without notice.
Video Waiver / Media Consent
I hereby authorize any images or video footage taken of myself and/or my child (under 18 years of age), in whole or in part, individually or in conjunction with other images and video footage, to be displayed on the Avenue Road Music and Performance Academy website and other official channels, and to be used for media purposes including promotional presentations and marketing campaigns. In giving this authorization, I understand I and/or my child will not be identified by name, and not be used in any picture featuring only myself and/or my child and no others, without my explicit permission. I waive rights to privacy and compensation, which I and/or my child may have in connection with such use of my and/or child’s likeness.
Loss or Injury
I acknowledge that 12937018 Canada foundation d/b/a Avenue Road Music and Performance Academy is not responsible for any injuries or loss sustained by me/my child while on the building premises, except for those that may be directly attributed to willful negligence on the part of the Academy or its staff.
In the event of injury, although low risk, Avenue Road Music and Performance Academy is not responsible for any injuries in or outside of the Academy acquired through taking classes.